Currently sitting in the Tourist Centre opposite the jetty in Hillsborough, Carriacou island waiting for the guy who said he’d take me to Union Island in his speedboat (for a fee) to come back. He’s been gone an hour.
7:30pm update: I finally got a small motor boat over to Union Island in the Grenadines at about midday, it only took about 40 minutes but I got utterly utterly drenched on the way over.
Missed the coastguard leaving for St. Vincent in a goddamn SPEEDBOAT by five minutes. So I’ve progressed about 3 miles today. Still on Union Island, I’ve asked half the population if anyone is going north today, but no joy. The ferry for St. Vincent leaves at 6am, so it looks like I’m getting that.
Not a bad place to be stuck for the night, though – this place is as close to paradise as I guess I’m ever going to get. Palm trees, warm breeze, coconuts, white beaches, tree covered hills, turquoise waters gently lapping at the shore and Ennio Morricone on the cafe stereo. Not bad at all.
I’m losing hope of getting to the container ship in Canada for the twelfth of February though – chatting with the yachties here there is no way I’m going to get to Barbados from St Vincent – against the wind and talk of 20ft waves, no less.
I should have gone from Trinidad, they tell me.
However, drastic times call for drastic measures and Lorna and I are cooking up a plan to get me to Barbados and back in the blink of an eye. But, unlike the trip so far, it’s really going to cost me. It’s going to cost me a lot.